Yoga helps in reducing stress and anxiety and reducing the risk of depression among individuals who have undergone cardiac surgery. According to researchers, yoga lowered BMI, systolic BP, diastolic BP, and cholesterol levels among individuals who have never exercised. Moreover, yoga can improve your heart health by reducing stress and anxiety. Here are 5 yoga poses for heart health you need to know to keep your heart healthy and fit:
This is the extended triangle pose that works towards expanding the chest and improving breathing. It also helps lift the overall mood. The asana is very effective for heart conditions or hypertension.
– Stand on a yoga mat with your feet wide apart.
– Turn your right foot out. Keep the left foot slightly inward.
– Now place your hands on your waist. Bend from the hip. You should bring the right hip closer to your right leg. Do not turn your torso or project your hip back.
– Lower your right arm towards the floor. Now raise the left arm towards the ceiling.
– Look straight ahead. Try to turn your head while looking up to the ceiling.
– Hold on to this pose for a minimum of thirty seconds. Open up your chest while continuing this pose.
– Now return to the starting position.
– Relax for a few seconds and repeat on the other side.
This is Reclining Hand to Big Toe Pose, one of the 5 yoga poses for heart health you need to know. It helps stretching tight hamstrings and hips in a gentle way. Tight hips and hamstrings are one of the triggers for back pain.
– Lie on your back keeping your knees straight, legs extended, and feet together.
– Inhale and bend the left knee.
– Coil a strap or belt around your left foot.
– Exhale and straighten your left leg.
– Make sure your head, shoulders, and neck are in a relaxed position on the floor.
– Bend your feet and lengthen through each heel while taking a deep breath. You should continue pressing your right leg into the mat.
– Repeat on the other side.
It is suggested that you hold on this position for around 3 to 5 breaths on each side.
The seated forward bend pose is very good for health. It will keep your heart in healthy and working conditions.
– Sit on the mat with your legs extended in front of you.
– Raise your arms overhead. Stretch the fingers up towards the ceiling.
– Bend from the waist and bring your head closer to your knees.
– Try to hold your feet in-between your hands.
– Relax the upper body completely. Breathe into this pose.
– Hold on to this pose for at least 30 seconds. Thereafter, push your arms out and up.
– Lower the arms back on to the mat.
– Relax for a few seconds and repeat this pose.
Setu Bandha Savangasana
Bridge pose is one of the best yoga poses for the heart. It will strengthen heart health.
– Lie on your back. Keep your palms down and arms at your sides.
– Bend your knees. Bring your heels close to sitting bones.
– The feet should be placed in a parallel position and hip-width apart.
– Exhale while pressing down through feet and hands. Lift hips until thighs are parallel to the floor.
– Keep buttocks firm and tilt tailbone up in a way to lengthen your lower back.
Hold on to this position for about 3 to 5 breaths before coming out of the pose.
Also referred to as the half spinal twist pose, this yoga asana will help in reducing stress and anxiety. It reduces the overall risk of depression which benefits heart health. It is one of the top yoga poses for heart health you need to know.
– Sit comfortably on the mat with legs extended.
– Bend your knees and drop the right knee to the mat. Try to bring the right foot close to your left hip.
– Bring the left ankle close to the right knee.
– Hips should be on the mat. Raise left arm above and take it back. Place your hand on the mat behind your hip.
– Raise the right arm overhead. Lower it on to the left outer thigh while twisting towards left.
– Try to turn your neck to look behind you.
– Hold on to this pose for up to 60 seconds.
– Return to the starting position.
– Repeat on the other side.